Monday, March 2, 2009

On Retreat, of Sorts.

On retreat of sorts in Saint Petersburg, Florida, after my first week in DC - a week of crampedness, discomfort, awkwardness with my power and rhythm in such a fortress of a place. I burned the week to death. I worked so hard.

But I escaped just in time to get away from the snow! Hooray.

This week in to the Poynter Institute, the journalism thinktank on the water; visiting with my cousin Jennifer Miller, with whom I spent every summer and winter for most of my life, with whom I return to the soft tones of my childhood language; going to Clearwater to watch the Phils on my birthday; eating strawberries. Looking at the blue sky. And - just waiting. The storms come, whether I go looking for them or not. I don't need to push like a crazy woman.

I'm gonna see what I can do about journalism. But it will be tricky. This is not an industry that is accustomed to having any relationship with public policy (when it comes to itself, any way.) I don't know... this is like food safety or something. If we don't have quality information, then there is no political decisionmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment